I am excited to share this recipe for Maple Pecan Squares with Bourbon Candied Bacon Crumble with you as part of The Longest Day fundraiser for the Alzheimer’s Association. Please consider making a donation to help support research to find a cure!
Recipe created and donated by: Julie Wyatt
Maple Pecan Squares with Bourbon Candied Bacon Crumble
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Candied Bacon Crumble:
- 1 lb thick, center-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp bourbon
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
Candied Bacon Crumble
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line baking sheeting with foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange slices of bacon on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how thick the slices are. Bacon should be fully cooked but not quite crispy.
- While bacon is cooking, whisk together honey and bourbon, set aside.
- Transfer cooked bacon strips to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off excess grease.
- Coat each slice of bacon with dark brown sugar, then drizzle the bourbon mixture over the bacon.
- Place a greased wire rack on the baking sheet and then place the coated bacon slices onto the wire rack.
- Bake for another ~10 minutes with the oven door partially open until bacon is crispy.
- Let cool completely, then crumble into small pieces, set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 F.
- Rub together the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl until combined but still crumbly. Press firmly into a lightly greased 8×10 baking dish.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine sugar and syrup in a small saucepan and simmer on stove for 5 minutes.
- Cool, then transfer to a large mixing bowl and slowly stir in the beaten eggs.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the mixture over the partially baked base and then bake at 450 F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the candied bacon crumble over the top.
- Let cool and then cut into squares.
Looking for more great recipes? Sign up to receive all the recipes from my annual fundraiser, The New Moon Bake-a-thon to support the Alzheimer’s Association! We bake all day long on the summer solstice (June 20th) to raise funds for research and patient care. All recipes are provided FREE on the website (donations optional, but always welcome!) and now you can get ALL of the recipes from the day delivered to your inbox in one handy-dandy e-book. Sign up today to get it – free!